Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 3 April 2014

Seaford Head, Splash Point & Ouse Valley 3/4/14

I started the morning off with Graeme Lyons on Seaford Head to do a breeding bird survey. The usual breeders evident, but migrants consisted of 3 Wheatears, and singles of Willow Warbler and Blackcap.

Unfortunately I had to leave abruptly due to a call from Nick Bond informing me of a Red-breasted Goose which passed Selsey Bill at 9.30am. Being a good year tick, but a mega patch tick I legged it to my car and ragged it down to Splash Point, where fortunately I had time to calm down as it was another 45 minutes before the Goose appeared. A brilliant looking bird and a very exciting occurrence.

So totals for Splash between 10.30-12.30 are:

RED-BREASTED GOOSE - 1 east with ca. 50 Brent Geese
Brent Geese - 112
Common Tern - 2
Sandwich Tern - 10
Red-throated Diver - 3
Common Scoter - 81

In the afternoon I visited Rodmell and Lewes Brooks seeing a Red Kite and 5 Swallows and then as the wind had veered to SE, I gave Splash another go from 5.40-6.40 seeing:

Arctic Skua - 1
Little Gull - 27
Common Tern - 12
Sandwich Tern - 29
Gannet - 4
Mediterranean Gull - 2



Red-breasted Goose past Splash Point