Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 April 2016

Seaford Head & Splash Point 10/4/16

Despite the forecast SE wind, I started on Seaford Head though was very disappointed to find very few migrants. It started well hearing a Willow Warbler singing as soon as I got out the car, but hopes were short-lived. After just an hour of wandering around, I dashed down to Splash where a further four hours produced a steady passage of birds, with the undoubted highlight being a Manx Shearwater close in, as well as some very close Tern flocks.

I was almost tempted by the Hooded Crow at Church Norton, but pleased I stayed put as there was no sign by the time I would've got there.

Totals are:

Seaford Head:
Firecrest - 1
Willow Warbler - 3

Splash Point 07.55-12.15 (my records only-some birds not noted due to forgetfulness)
Manx Shearwater - 1 (initially picked up heading west, but turned, sat on the sea then flew close in heading east)
Brent Geese - 105
Common Scoter - 518
Sandwich Tern - 150
Commic Tern - 67
Common Tern - 24
Arctic Tern - 11
Pintail - 2
Arctic Skua - 2 d/p
Great Skua - 1
Black-throated Diver - 5
Red-throated Diver - 6
Mediterranean Gull - 4
Little Gull - 4
Shoveler - 4
Gannet - 4
Teal - 5
Whimbrel - 9 (one flock)
Eider - 2
Grey Plover - 1
Sanderling - 1


 a mixture of Terns
 Brent Geese still going strong
 a horrid picture of a stunning Black-throated Diver
two Eider with Common Scoter - the former being one of my favourites on a seawatch