Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 22 December 2016

Argentina - 21/12/16

San Antonio Oeste - Santa Rosa
Today was the start of my return journey back to Buenos Aires. It took around five hours of driving to get to Santa Rosa. The habitat in northern Patagonia was all the same and so I felt little need to stop, but once I entered La Pampas the habitat changed dramatically, and after hours on the road, the first large expanse of water appeared, and obviously played host to lots of birds, most of which turned out to be Wilson's Phalaropes, my first of the trip and numbers must have reached around 500 birds. Next stop was at Parque Luro roughly 30km south of Santa Rosa. I chose this spot as it is very good for Scimitar-billed Woodcreeper and Brown Cacholote. Sure enough I found both with ease, and also a few other new bits, but sadly no Brushland Tinamou. I arrived into Santa Rosa and my hotel with one more lengthy drive ahead before my flight back home on the 23rd. Hopefully a Many-coloured Rush-Tyrant can give itself up for me tomorrow.

Highlights for today are as follows:

Greater Rhea
White-tufted Grebe
Lake Duck
Long-winged Harrier
Peregrine
Wilson's Phalarope
Picui Ground Dove
Blue-crowned Parakeet
Guira Cuckoo
Green-barred Woodpecker
Pale-breasted Spinetail
Brown Cacholote
White Monjita
White-tipped Plantcutter
Great Pampa Finch
Saffron Finch
Ringed Warbling-Finch
Screaming Cowbird
Scimitar-billed Woodcreeper
Narrow-billed Woodcreeper

 Scimitar-billed Woodcreeper - awesome bird
 Vermilion Flycatcher
 Brown Cacholote
 White Monjita
 a stunning Blue-crowned Parakeet with two Monks

 Parque Luro
sunset over Santa Rosa