Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Saturday 29 July 2017

Newhaven Harbour & Cuckmere Haven 29/7/17

As the tide was low when I headed out this morning I checked Newhaven Harbour and soon found another juv. Yellow-legged Gull roosting on the sand.



 obvious anchor markings in the mantle and scaps are visible when the bird was preening
juv. Yellow-legged Gull at Newhaven Harbour

Afterwards in the Cuckmere I somehow didn't see a Great Skua despite it probably flying across my path at some point whilst I was on site. I've never seen a Skua in the Cuckmere itself so this was slightly frustrating. 13 Dunlin were along the river and a few Sand Martins were trickling through.

Yesterday a few hundred Swift moved west and a very juv. Ringed Plover was found south of the scrape. A few Kittiwakes moving west on a relatively short seawatch yesterday afternoon.

Two families of Stonechats are currently in the scrub south of the scrape

Swift in the Cuckmere - one of a couple of hundred moving west on 28th July
juv Ringed Plover by the scrape - brilliant to see a nearly fledged Ringed Plover at this site