Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Friday 29 December 2017

Newhaven Harbour 29/12/17

Very little to speak about of late. During the week an Avocet flew into the harbour but soon went off west. This evening a first-winter Yellow-legged Gull briefly stopped by in the late afternoon gloom, that to me looked initially like a Caspian as it was picked up flying in from the east, but upon landing I wasn't entirely convinced, and then it was kindly pointed out to me by Josh and Laurence that it was in fact a Yellow-legged. 

A perfect evening down at Rodmell Brooks with Dad last night produced only two Little Owls by the car park, 3 Chiffchaffs and a few cool Starling flocks doing their thing before flying into roost. Another Little Owl was seen at Piddinghoe on the way home.

I managed to dig out another Norwegian Great Black-backed Gull (JK306) during the week, ringed as a juv. in June on the southern shores of Norway. I think my fifth Norwegian GBBG of this winter period, plus five from north France, and a LBBG from the North Thames Ringing Group.



first-winter Yellow-legged Gull at Newhaven Harbour