Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 25 September 2018

BELUGA!! 25/9/18

Was delighted to finally get away from the doldrums of Sussex when the remarkable news of an immature Beluga Whale filtered through late morning that somehow took a liking to the River Thames, and unfortunately not in its crystal clear icy waters of the Arctic Circle.

It took me a few minutes to pluck the courage and roughly two hours later I was on site and laying eyes on this awesome cetacean. It was tough running along the seawall though as I'd ran the Loch Ness Marathon on Sunday (3hrs & 6mins if anyone cares) and so I was still suffering today. I stayed on site for two hours where the Whale had got more distant and elusive and Sky and BBC news in their helicopters were starting to get more annoying.

Closer to home, it has been very hard work. Since my last post, I've been out most days and seen barely anything of interest, though today there was a Cetti's Warbler singing along the A259 in the Cuckmere Valley, which would've been a patch tick if it had shown itself. The Bar-tailed Godwit continues to show well along the river but grounded migrants have been very thin on the ground.


Beluga Whale off Gravesend