Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 November 2018

Lower Cuckmere 25/11/18

After dipping on the Splash Point Snow Bunting I found myself back in the Cuckmere where there was encouragingly a large Gull flock present. The initial few scans produced only a few adult Yellow-legged Gulls. Eventually an adult Caspian Gull and a 1w Mediterranean Gull was found but it was a slightly disappointing outcome.

Whilst watching the flock I heard the approach of what I presumed were White-fronted Geese, and four of these lovely birds dropped into the Cuckmere and remained the entire time I was down there.
As time went on more Gulls joined the flock, and with Richard’s arrival came more Caspian Gulls, with a total of five present, including the same adult seen initially, with totals of two adults, a third-winter and two first-winters. A few small flocks of Redwings and a single Fieldfare flew over whilst scanning the flock, which made for an enjoyable time watching the Gulls.

I stopped off at Splash Point on my return as the Bunting was reportedly still present, however I couldn’t find it.


White-fronted Geese - 
somehow a find tick and presumably
my earliest sighting in the Cuckmere.



third-winter Caspian Gull

Two adult Caspian Gulls

first-winter Caspian Gull

first-winter Caspian Gull
Different from the above bird.