Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 16 May 2019

Splash Point 16/5/19

Well after missing the magnificent flock of ten Pomarine Skuas that got tracked from Selsey to Splash Point in 1hr 40mins (I was at work....this may come as a shock to some readers), I was relieved to see nine Poms up until dusk, with a flock of six that flew along very close inshore.

Selsey deservedly dominated proceedings with a count of 37 Poms (I think), whilst here at Splash Point a day count of 19 Poms was counted. Once again, this goes to show just how unpredictable Pomarine Skuas are, which makes this game even more exciting......or from my perspective today, annoying!

Totals between 16.10-20.30 Wind ESE-NNE 2:

Pomarine Skua - 9 (10 seen before my arrival by Derek Barber)
Sanderling - 30
Turnstone - 1
Red-throated Diver - 2
Common Scoter - 50
Grey Plover - 2
Brent Goose - 2



Six Pomarine Skuas passing only
a few hundred metres offshore
……...amazing!!