Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 May 2020

Durford Wood & Iping Common 20/5/20

An early morning vigil into West Sussex was a great way to start the day. I started off at Durford Wood (a site I'd never been to before), that straddles the Hampshire/West Sussex border. I was hoping to find a Wood Warbler, though to not much of a surprise, I failed in this quest. It was a lovely site though, and with the 'Welsh feel factor', I could easily imagine that Wood Warblers once graced the heavily forested slopes on this site. The welcome sign also had a picture of a Pied Flycatcher on it...! All I did find were four singing Firecrests ,and base leaves of a few Broad-leaved Helleborines.

Afterwards, I nipped into Iping Common. Certainly many more birds were present here, including the typical heathland species that one would expect. A Cuckoo was also present.

Tree Pipit

Woodlark


Durford Wood

Iping Common