Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Friday 25 June 2021

June (Part 1) - Heading north to Shetland

June has been a manic month; after leading two back-to-back tours in Somerset, I was back to work for a day before heading north, this time to co-lead a week tour on Shetland. I decided to drive up, which allowed me to visit a couple of sites during the long journey to Aberdeen.

So, on Saturday 12th June, I left Alton relatively early and was aiming to head straight for County Durham to stay at Sara's parents. However, along the way a thought crossed my mind that the 12th might just about be on time to find a Black Hairstreak. To give myself the best chance possible, I stopped off at Glapthorne Cow Pastures in Northamptonshire. Despite the favourable conditions, it took a while for me to find one, which just so happened to be the first individual in the county of 2021. It was very fresh, but sadly remained distant, though it was great to see one after a few years without. 

Afterwards, I drove straight up to County Durham where I stayed the night. We walked a nice circuit at Bishop Middleham where a 'reeling' Grasshopper Warbler proved to be the highlight. 

The next day, on the 13th, I left early and drove due west towards the Lake District. I stopped off at two sites near Kirkby Stephen to find a few orchids, including the Lesser Twayblade, but I also saw a few Fly Orchids. My main quarry for this day were the Mountain Ringlets at Irton Fell, a site on the western side of the Lakes. Despite the cloud, I met a few photographers on their way down the steep hill who had seen some, so I briskly made my way to the main area and found a fresh individual. Despite much searching, this was the only ringlet I found, so it was a good job it showed well for so long. A daytime 'churring' Nightjar was also heard and a Lesser Redpoll showed very well. After such a successful morning, I then started the long drive to Perth where I stayed the night, listening to the football as I went. 

On the morning of the 14th, I chilled out and spent some time in Perth, grabbing myself a decent breakfast and a much-needed haircut, before coasting north to Aberdeen. I didn't see much during the day and the evening was spent meeting my Shetland group and enjoying the initial couple of hours sailing north. Many Manx Shearwaters were seen and the Bottlenose Dolphins performed admirably, kicking off the Shetland trip to a fine start.

Black Hairstreak at Glapthorne Cow Pastures

Fly Orchid

Lesser Twayblade


Mountain Ringlet at Irton Fell

The view from Irton Fell

Sailing north to Shetland