Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 January 2022

A Weekend in Sussex

What a brilliant weekend it was! 

On Saturday, I didn't feel too great but fancied re-visiting Iping Common to catch-up with my Little Bunting. It took some time to find as the flock were clearly hiding in the long grass, but when they emerged, it was easy to find and showed off for a good length of time. I even managed to encroach it and get some decent pictures. A couple of Dartford Warblers were also present, but the frosty common didn't hold too much else.

I headed north to Stanley Common and walked a long circuit, but now being grey and cold, all I could muster were two each of Brambling and Crossbill.

On Sunday, I had a race early down near Titchfield Haven (I didn't know this until I ran past the site!), finishing a 10K in 36:20. After this excellent start, I wasted no time and headed for Church Norton to hopefully see one of my favourite ducks, the Long-tailed Duck. I positioned myself away from the other birders and enjoyed a successful half-hour here. In order, three Eiders, 12 Slavonian Grebes, two Red-throated Divers, two Long-tailed Ducks, but best of all, a Red-necked Grebe! Although somewhat distant, it was great to see this scarce grebe.

Afterwards, West Dean Woods was my next port of call and from 'my' viewpoint, I enjoyed an hour of bliss as eight Hawfinches showed very well, but a Goshawk flew out of the wood, headed straight for me, and then proceeded to circle around... certainly the best view I've ever had!

Little Bunting at Iping Common

Brambling at Stanley Common




Goshawk