Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 12 November 2014

Fuerteventura Day 3 & 4 1st & 2nd November 2014

I only birded for half a day on the 3rd, mainly because of the strong northerly wind that had developed during the night and had no hint of calming down. It was still very pleasant though in the south of the island. I concentrated my efforts in the Parque Natural de Jandia around Costa Calma without seeing a great deal, however two Egyptian Vultures were a treat and on the west side a thought of finding an Ovenbird went through my mind, but no luck there. By midday I retired back to the hotel for a spot of sunbathing, surrounded by the pool and cider!! Very nice. Certainly beats the sights of fat, naked Germans strolling up and down the beaches.

Day 4 I ventured to the north of the island where I experienced my first flash flood. A crazy amount of rainwater plummeted down the road in Corralejo leaving me stranded on the flooded pavement. It was very funny though, especially when a runner went past. I carried on driving around to El Cotillo where I had the best views possible of some Houbaras. I finished the day at Los Molinos where the Sandgrouse showed better. 

Day 3 - Fuentita
Egyptian Vulture - 2 in goat field

Parque Natural de Jandia
Cory's Shearwater - ca. 100
Black-bellied Sandgrouse - 10
Whimbrel - 1

Day 4 - El Cotillo
Houbara Bustard - 3
Lesser Short-toed Lark - 2
Trumpeter Finch - 6
Atlantis Yellow-legged Gull - 20

Los Molinos/Las Parcelas
Cream-coloured Courser - 1 distant 
Black-bellied Sandgrouse - 3
Greenshank - 1
Sparrowhawk - 2


 Houbara Bustard sth of El Cotillo
 Yellow-legged Gull at El Cotillo
Lesser Short-toed Lark at El Cotillo
 driving through Corallejo - top gear style
 looking south from La Pared
the Parque Natural de Jandia