Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 29 June 2015

Breydon Water & Strumpshaw, Norfolk 29/6/15

For a few years now I haven't gone for any Pacific Golden Plovers due to them being too far away and at a time of year I tend to dissociate birding and commence photographing Dragonflies or Butterflies. Fortunately today combined the two and I was finally able to see a PGP in Britain.

It took me a while to pluck up the courage but I finally left for Breydon Water just before midday and arrived under fours hours later. Annoyingly I was the only birder there, but once I finally found the Pacific Golden Plover I was able to enjoy it on my own. Good enough views through the scope, and at one point the bird raised its wings allowing the brown underwing to be seen.

a small part of Breydon Water with an out of focus Pacific Golden Plover in the middle


Afterwards I visited Strumpshaw Fen RSPB and spent an hour watching and photographing Norfolk Hawkers which certainly made the trip up worthwhile. A few Southern Marsh Orchids were around and a Marsh Harrier was seen carrying some large half-eaten bird in its talons.



 Norfolk Hawkers at Strumpshaw Fen
Southern Marsh Orchid