Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Friday 3 July 2015

SQUACCO HERON - Southease 3/7/15

As I had just laid down the towel and put on the sun cream down Seaford beach, my phone went off, and luckily I glanced at it as a Sqaucco Heron had been found at Southease by Chris Barfield. My two minute sunbathing session was over and I was first on site where the Heron showed nicely in a ditch, and then all afternoon and evening along the river and a couple of times in flight.

What is not a truly rare bird anywhere, in Sussex it is a a fantastic record, being only the 6th since 1950 and the first twitchable bird since 2000 (Pett Levels) where one was present for an afternoon only. A great bird and great to catch up with so many people.

Sqaucco Heron at Southease - another county tick this spring ;-)