Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 1 October 2015

Shetland 1/10/15

Weather - Strong westerly winds with occasional heavy drizzle.

Despite the quite appalling conditions for birding in, I actually enjoyed today much more than I thought I would. I concentrated my efforts around South Mainland where I found a 'Blythi' Lesser Whitethroat, but other than this the species list remained very low. I visited Rerwick where I found the Great Reed a few years ago, hoping it to be replaced by its shorter-winged cousin. No such luck, but nice to go back through the phases of finding a goody......it's been a while. Hoping to head north tomorrow if my car doesn't get blown over in the forecasted gales tonight. 

Totals are: 

Yellow-browed Warbler - 13
Redwing - 2
Goldcrest - 3
Blythi Lesser Whitethroat - 1 Gulberwick though very elusive but long primary projection noted as well as other obvious features. 
Song Thrush - 1
Whooper Swan - 6
Red-breasted Flycatcher - 1 Quarff

 Grey Seal at Rerwick
 the reedbed below Rerwick - Great Reed Warbler found here in 2012
Rerwick beach - Buff-bellied Pipit seen here in 2012