Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Saturday 23 September 2017

Seaford Head, Peacehaven & Cuckmere Haven 23/9/17

This morning on the Head was dire and I soon became bored and went home. I chilled for the rest of the morning but soon became bored indoors so I walked the cliffs between Peacehaven and Newhaven, and although the birding was quiet, I was fortunate to spot a superb Convolvulus Hawk Moth in the short grass along the cliff top. I moved it to a safer position out of harms way. Previous to this I had received a phonecall from Tim Squire who had found a Grey Phalarope in the Cuckmere, and spent an enjoyable hour with the bird as it showed down to a few feet. I had joked with Tim earlier on in the day to find me a Red-necked Phalarope in the Cuckmere, so not a bad outcome.

Seaford Head:

Chiffchaff - 44
Grey Wagtail - 2
Yellow Wagtail - 4
Goldcrest - 15
Spotted Flycatcher - 1
Blackcap - 26
Whinchat - 1
Reed Bunting - 2
Whitethroat - 1

Cuckmere Haven:
Grey Phalarope
Wigeon - 8
Teal - 1
Tufted Duck - 1

Spotted Flycatcher by Harry's Bush

Convolvulus Hawk Moth at Peacehaven
the group of Wigeon to arrive in the Cuckmere

Grey Phalarope in the Cuckmere - the second in 11 days!