Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Saturday 7 April 2018

Splash Point 7/4/18

A slower seawatch then most days this week, however the quality was there today. By far the highlight for me was a Long-tailed Duck which is my first here since 2005 (and only my second record). Next up was a drk Scaup alongside a few Scoters that again was only my third record of this species here. And although not as exciting, two Egyptian Geese flew west, and again was only my second record of this species here. With these as well as an early flurry of Skuas, 8 Velvet Scoters and being called back on my way to the car for a summer plumaged Black-necked Grebe, it was a very productive session. 

Totals between 6am - midday are:

Common Scoter - 775
Red-throated Diver - 101
Brent Geese - 52
Commic Tern - 39
Sandwich Tern - 129
Shelduck - 8
Arctic Skua - 21
Gannet - 32
Red-breasted Merganser - 11
Bar-tailed Godwit - 1
Black-headed Gull - 31
Black-throated Diver - 3
Canada Geese - 3W
Auk sp. - 110
Curlew - 9
Little Gull - 32
Velvet Scoter - 8
Shoveler - 40
Whimbrel - 6
Long-tailed Duck - 1 @ 9.05
Scaup - 1 drk @ 9.35 
Egyptian Geese - 2W
Wigeon - 5
Gadwall - 1
Mediterranean Gull - 3
Black-necked Grebe - 1 s/p drifting E

I had to leave at midday as I had a free ticket thanks to Paula to watch Brighton at the AMEX, and as frustrating as it was with a 1-1 draw, it was my first ever premier league game, and being sat very near to the away supporters, it was great yelling abuse at them when we scored, although that didn't last too long annoyingly.