Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Saturday 2 June 2018

Lanzarote 28th May - 1st June 2018

A family holiday to the most northern and most volcanic Canary Island, and an island I had yet to visit. This did however mean the only new bird would be a Bulwer's Petrel, and given how few are seen from the headlands I didn't hold out much hope. Also with going to Madeira in a few weeks I wasn't desperate to see one. So basically I didn't see this Petrel, but I did notch up a few nice species whenever I was allowed to deviate off the main road and out onto the sandy tracks, or abandon the family for a short time for some much wanted seawatching.

Highlights for the few days are as follows:

Cory' Shearwater - 1000s
Houbara Bustard - 3
Berthelot's Pipit - 25
Egyptian Vulture - 1
Barbary Falcon - 1
Hoopoe - 10
Cattle Egret - 15
Spanish Sparrow - 100s
Spectacled Warbler - 1
Southern Grey Shrike - 5
Turnstone - 3

Cory's Shearwater past Los Ancones
Headland
Hoopoe at Famara Plains
Houbara Bustard at Famara Plains
Egyptian Vulture at Timanfaya NP
Berthelot's Pipit at Timanfaya NP

Atlantic Lizard at Timanfaya NP