Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 4 June 2018

Red-veined Darter 4/6/18

On standby this morning so I made the most of it and decided to stay local and again walk the cliffs between Peacehaven and Castle Hill LNR. Quiet for birds but along a narrow path at almost the same place I saw the Mole a few days ago, I flushed a Darter, and given how red the whole dragonfly appeared I felt fairly confident it was going to be a Red-veined Darter. Thankfully it landed on the path and I captured a couple of distant record shots before it took flight once more but this time completely disappearing into the strong NE wind.

Zooming in on the images taken it was quite apparent that there was a conspicuous amount of red in the first half of the wing. Further scrutiny could see a small white strip on one of the legs, both of these features ruling out the common Darters found in this region, albeit normally in July rather then early June.

Red-veined Darter along Peacehaven Cliffs