Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 29 August 2018

Cuckmere Haven 29/8/18

A long day at work and all day I was planning a quick walk down the Cuckmere before dark. Even more so as I received a text from Andrew when I landed as he had found a Wood Sandpiper on the scrape. This would be only the fourth Wood Sand I'd have seen in the Cuckmere itself (three on the Head flying over in previous years) and so I was keen to get down there quickly  Just prior to my arrival, Jake G. text me stating a Short-eared Owl was over the scrape, so I belted it down to the pub and could see the Owl in the distance.

Anyway, the Wood Sand was still on the scrape but rather flighty, and eventually ended up on the west side, and all in all a good tally of Waders were found, as well as a few other migrants. A cracking evening.

Totals are:
Wood Sandpiper - 1
Common Sandpiper - 8
Snipe - 1 over
Greenshank - 1
Knot - 2
Whimbrel - 1
Dunlin - 2
Short-eared Owl - 1
Whinchat - 4
Yellow Wagtail - 20

Wood Sandpiper
Greenshank
Common Sandpipers