Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 14 October 2018

Namibia - Day 13 14/10/18

Divundu to Rundu

The first day of the trip that I’d felt slightly under the weather and so I didn’t have much enthusiasm to bird all hours. Another visit into Mahango Game Reserve at long last produced a good array of raptors, and some good Antelopes with the best being a superb Sable Antelope. 

My next accommodation was halfway between Divundu and Rundu but annoyingly it appeared they had no food on site and the place didn’t have a nice feel about it. After pondering on the bed for ten minutes I quickly turned on my mobile data and booked myself into Sarusunga Lodge at Rundu. Without saying goodbye (but trip ticking African Paradise Flycatcher), I left and was soon arriving back at Rundu. 

My illness hadn’t improved and so I lazed around for a while before walking around the grounds finding a nice pair of Ashy Flycatchers. As darkness fell, the sound of Rufous-cheeked and Fiery-necked Nightjars started. 

No lifers today can only mean I’m nearing the end of a so far successful trip. 

Highlights for today are as follows:

Black-chested Snake Eagle - 1
Brown Snake Eagle - 1
Martial Eagle - 1
Wattled Crane - 2
Rock Pratincole - 10
Bradfield’s Hornbill - 2
Meyer’s Parrot - 1
Chinspot Batis - 2
Magpie Shrike - 1
African Paradise Flycatcher - 2
Yellow-bellied Greenbul - 5
Willow Warbler - 1
Hartlaub’s Babbler - 10
Yellow-billed Oxpecker - 5
Kurrichane Thrush - 2
Ashy Flycatcher - 2
Marico Sunbird - 1
Red-headed Weaver - 1
Jameson’s Firefinch - 4

Emerald Spotted Wood Dove
at Mahango Game Reserve

Rock Pratincoles at Popa Falls

Kurrichane Thrush at Sarusunga
The not so mighty Popa Falls
in the distance

Another riverside chalet