Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Saturday 13 October 2018

Namibia/Botswana - Day 12 13/10/18

Xaro Lodge to Popa Falls

This morning was the whole reason why I came into Botswana, a chance to see a Pel’s Fishing Owl. Xaro Lodge is a known spot for this species as they are regularly seen in the gardens. However, they change their roost site each day and so finding them can be very difficult, and are certainly not guaranteed. 

I was outside my chalet at first light dodging the fruit that the Vervet Monkey was throwing at me, to be confronted by lots of noise from all the birds. Giant Kingfishers were settling on my balcony and a whole possession of new birds for the trip were seen. 

I had arranged to meet Rohane again who is an exceptional birder who doesn’t even carry binoculars, yet still finds and identifies birds long before I’ve seen them. Rohane asked me whether I wanted a birding walk, or to just find the Owl. Certainly a daft question but the Owl was all I wanted. The first 5-10 trees failed to produce anything and I had already given up hope. A pair of African Barred Owlets that I found failed to cheer me up much, but then Rohane calmly waved me over to a tree, and looking up into the dense canopy was sat a superb Pel’s Fishing Owl, by far the bird of the trip. It was accidentally flushed but landed in full view with the sun shining on it. A stunning bird and even better a short while later another Pel’s was found. All of this was going on as an Elephant was keeping a close eye on us at about 40 metres range. 

After a hefty breakfast it was time to get the boat transfer back to the car and return into Namibia. It was too early to check in at Shametu River Lodge at Popa Falls, and therefore I took the loop circuit at Mahango Game Reserve, where a good list of mammals were seen, including the Red Lechwe. 

Now at the lodge I chilled for a while before heading back into Mahango where a large herd of Elephants came close to the car, and another good list of new trip birds were seen. The unexpected lifer here were a pair of Green-backed Honeyguides, and the more expected Bradfield’s Hornbill. 

By the time I got back to Shametu, it was dark but I still noticed an Owl fly into the tree from my balcony. The silhouette looked good for an African Wood Owl and so I rushed in and got my torch, and I was pleased to see it was indeed a Wood Owl. A three Owl day on an Eade tour is almost unheard of! 

No WiFi for the next two nights after tonight and only five full days left. 

Long list of highlights for the day are as follows:

Crested Francolin - 3
Swainson’s Spurfowl - 1
Yellow-billed Stork - 2
African Spoonbill - 2
Bateleur - 7
Dark Chanting Goshawk - 2
Little Sparrowhawk - 1
Wattled Crane - 8
Temminck’s Courser - 2
Collared Pratincole - 5
Black-winged Pratincole - 1
Rock Pratincole - 2
PEL’S FISHING OWL - 2
African Wood Owl - 1
AFRICAN BARRED OWLET - 2
Broad-billed Roller - 4
Common Scimitarbill - 2
BRADFIELD’S HORNBILL - 3
Black-collared Barbet - 5
GREEN-BACKED HONEYGUIDE - 2
Orange-breasted Bushshrike - 2
Retz’s Helmetshrike - 10
Southern Black Tit - 2
Burnt-necked Eremomela - 9
White-browed Robin-Chat - 4
Yellow-fronted Canary - 1

African Barred Owlet at Xaro Lodge


Pel's Fishing Owl

Sulphur-breasted Bush-Shrike at 
Mahango Game Reserve

Wattled Cranes

Bradfield's Hornbill

Southern Carmine Bee-Eater

African Wood Owl at Shametu
Pel's in the dark green tree


View from the chalet at Xaro Lodge

Mahango Game Reserve

Giant Baobab Tree