Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 14 October 2020

Lammergeier 14/10/2020

Not a bad first day to my 12-day period of leave! After looking at the Grey Phalarope for no more than a minute at Widewater Lagoon, I opted to visit Crowlink to initiate my searching for rare birds... which proved to be a critical move. 

Crowlink was fairly poor with just a Firecrest of note and the valleys to the east didn't produce much either. That was until, when at Sardine Valley, I looked north and noticed a humongous raptor hitting the skyline. Although it was side on and at my level, the length of the tail was a dead giveaway, and once it had changed its angle a couple of times, it was clearly the Lammergeier! Being so low, it quickly dipped out of sight, therefore, I quickly turned to my phone to release the exciting news. With no signal and knowing many would come to see it (despite its credentials which I am very much aware of), I charged up to the top of Went Hill (passing two bemused Chinese tourists) and managed to get some form of signal, releasing news immediately.

A frantic LP phoned me as he was above Belle Tout, which is when I re-found the Lammer sat in a field near to East Dean. It stayed here for a further 30 minutes until a farmer decided to drive right up to it and of course flushing the bird during the process. From here on in, the Lammergeier was seen in flight throughout the afternoon, predominantly from High and Over car park where it was later seen to roost within the Friston complex. 

In what has been a horrific past few weeks when, at times, I've considered hanging up my bins, this was the boost I so needed. Now, where's that Sussex bluetail!

My initial view of the Lammergeier




Alongside a Buzzard!!