Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Saturday 17 January 2015

South Africa - Day 4 - 16/1/15

An interesting day today. After yesterday's sweet success, today was the opposite, even though the bird species seen were very good. First of all, I arrived at the gates to Augrabies NP to find out the park didn't open for another hour, then after some good birding from the road, I discovered I had a flat tyre!!!

Two reasons why this was not ideal, first I was more then 1000km from Cape Town now on a spare wheel, but also my plans had been ruined for the day as I had planned to go to Onseepkans on the Namibian border for some Lovebirds. Needless to say this didn't happen but I enjoyed the day (although anxious about my tyre) and saw some good bits, as well as seeing the very impressive waterfalls. I then drove 130km to Pofadder and stayed the night with the spare wheel still in one piece. 

Species capitalised are lifers and only birds of note included below.

Augrabies entrance road
ACACIA PIED BARBET - 1
Red-faced Mousebird - 5
Swallow-tailed Bee-eater - 1

Augrabies NP (campsite)
Chestnut-vented Tit-babbler - 1
Fiscal Flycatcher - 1
ASHY TIT - 2
African Hoopoe - 1
Acacia Pied Barbet - 3
Cape Robin Chat - 2
Southern Grey-headed Sparrow - 4
Pririt Batis - 2
African Fish Eagle - 3
Verreaux's Eagle - 2
Orange River White-Eye - ca. 30
Cardinal Woodpecker - 2

Mammals today were: 
Little Mongoose
Ground Squirrel

 Pale-winged Starling
 African Red-eyed Bulbul
 Acacia Pied Barbet
 Chestnut-vented Tit-babbler
 Dusky Sunbird
 Black-chested Prinia


 Augrabie Falls NP
 east of Pofadder
welcome to Pofadder.