Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 28 March 2019

Splash Point & Cuckmere Haven 28/3/19

At midday, I noticed the change in wind direction had veered to an easterly direction, and with this I soon found myself down Splash Point, where I only had an hour spare. There obviously wasn't a great deal moving (time of day and poor winds up until now) but I was mightily pleased to see my first Arctic Skua of the season, the species I had predicted for my short watch.

Totals between 13.25 - 14.25 Wind E-SSE F1:

Red-throated Diver - 9
Brent Geese - 3
Arctic Skua - 1 d/p 13.43
Sandwich Tern - 5
Black-headed Gull - 7

During the week the Cuckmere has yet again proven to be fairly productive. On Tuesday I went to photograph the Little Gull after work, and then walked down to the scrape where a superb Little Ringed Plover was found. A bright continental Stonechat was also present around the scrape.

Little Gull showing off it's pink flush
Little Ringed Plover
continental Stonechat