Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 5 March 2019

Upper Cuckmere 5/3/19

A decent morning in the Cuckmere today. Yesterday on a brief visit I was certain I had a Water Pipit but it flew off fairly quickly. So today I ignored the Glossy Ibis still in its favoured ditch and got to the area of saltmarsh on the first meander north of Exceat.

There were many Pipits about including a few Scandinavian Rock Pipits among the commoner petrosus' Rock Pipits and Meadow Pipits. After a while, a striking Water Pipit was eventually found, and over the next half hour, a total of three Water Pipits were found (including one with a poor supercilium), with at least three (no doubt more lurking) Scandinavian Rock Pipits. A long awaited patch tick and totally unexpected to have three birds, yet alone one present. Sadly despite having my converter on, the photos below are at most poor record shots.

The Glossy Ibis was still present when I left the area.


Water Pipit (probably my best ever view
in the UK). The white underparts
were particularly conspicuous.

A Water Pipit feeding behind a 
Scandinavian Rock Pipit



Scandinavian Rock Pipit

Cattle Egret seen on Sunday morning