Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Saturday 30 March 2019

Upperton Common, Petworth 30/3/19

A slight change today as I am currently taking part in the Willow Tit survey.

One of my locations is a site I've never ventured to before this spring, this being Upperton Common, just to the west of Petworth Park. This was my second visit this spring, but of course my target species was nowhere to be seen, though it was great to see a minimum of five male Firecrests on territory, as well as three Marsh Tits. The woodland looks very good for Willow Tits with plenty of low level cover, mixed species of trees and a small stream running through the centre.

After this very nice woodland walk I went and saw a couple of Dartford Warblers at a nearby common. A couple of female Siskins were collecting nesting material from the car park as well.

Near Fittleworth I walked another woodland, just as it looks brilliant for LSWs, again none of these present, but another vocal Firecrest and plenty of Chiffchaffs and a single Blackcap were in full song. An Orange-Tip and lots of Brimstones were also on the wing.

Last but not least I went and saw the two drake Garganey that were still present on Waltham Brooks, and I was pleased to see a Swallow flying north up the valley.

Yesterday between two presentations I walked around some woodland in the northern part of Sussex, and had an unexpected immature Goshawk fly past me (pictured below).

Firecrest at Upperton Common
Marsh Tit at Upperton Common
Blackcap near Fittleworth
distant drake Garganey at Waltham Brooks
Swallow over Waltham Brooks
Orange-Tip near Fittleworth
immature Goshawk