Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 25 July 2016

Seaford Head & Lower Cuckmere 25/7/16

My first visit to the Head this autumn was unfortunately very quiet for returning migrants. All was good in the end though as from Harry's Bush I scanned the Lower Cuckmere, and in the distance I spotted an Egret among the cows. Being at such a long distance and having seen a Little Egret with the cattle last week, I dismissed it as this. I sat down and watched the bird, and its behaviour in fact reminded me of a Cattle Egret. With time to waste I walked down towards the cattle and bingo......it was one. It remained elusive for the hour it was present, often hiding in the pools and spending not much time with the cattle. For years I've wondered why I hadn't seen this species down here, but thankfully I can put that thought to rest. The only previous record in the Cuckmere was back in 2000, and like this bird, it didn't linger.

Totals for the Head are:
Nightingale - 1 'croaking'
Reed Warbler - 2
Lesser Whitethroat - 2
Willow Warbler - 1
Swift - 7W

Cattle Egret - 1 adult 8.30 - 9.45


Cattle Egret in Lower Cuckmere