Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 21 May 2012

Mega Courser 21/5/12

Sunday night 10.49pm - MEGA alert - CREAM-COLOURED COURSER Herefordshire. Bugger, I was working 9.30-5.30 on Monday.

Monday morning - Courser still present. My only option was to go into work and beg to have the day off so I could see this superb rarity. Luck was on my side and I was given permission for a day off, and the journey began.

I soon picked up Bob Self and then Adam Bowley and I drove 4 hours to Herefordshire arriving at Bradnor Hill just after midday after some great traffic conditions. About 20 minutes later we were all watching the Cream-colouredCourser (on the very scenic golf course) at about 30 metres range, allowing great scope views.

It soon got closer and photographic opportunities began, although the heat haze didn't help. We watched the bird for over an hour taking in it's strange feeding action and it's fantastic plumage. What a bird!!

After this, we drove back home via Hampshire and saw the adult female Woodchat Shrike at Martin Down NNR.

Great day with great company.


 Cream-coloured Courser - Herefordshire

Woodchat Shrike at Martin Down NNR