Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Friday 8 November 2013

Foret de Compiegne & Dieppe 6th,7th November

Having only had flight views of Black Woodpecker in Norway last year, I thought I would try my luck just north of Paris at the Foret de Compiegne. Obviously not the ideal month for Woodpeckers, but it was nice to get away and bird a new area.

Tuesday/Wednesday - I got the overnight ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe and drove the 3 hours to Compiegne arriving at first light. I found the write area and spent the day here. Unfortunately no Black Woodpeckers, but plenty to keep me occupied. As the weather was meant to deteriorate, I drove back to Dieppe that evening and slept in the car overnight.

Thursday - Wandered around a superb coastal headland just west of Dieppe at Cap D'ally. Spent the rest of the time photographing Little Gulls in Dieppe harbour before getting the ferry back to Newhaven later on that evening. A couple of Chaffinches spent the whole journey flying alongside the ferry and one even tried to land on me.

Foret de Compiegne
Short-toed Treecreeper - 10
Crested Tit - 10
Brambling - 20
Crossbill - 1
Redpoll - 1

Cap D'ally & Dieppe
Firecrest - 5
Crested Tit - 2
Little Gull - 5 in Dieppe Harbour

 Crested Tit at Foret de Compiegne

 Domain national du Palais de Compiegne



Ad & 1w Little Gulls in Dieppe Harbour