Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 31 July 2014

Seaford Head 31/7/14

A very pleasant start to the day with no wind and cooler temperatures. This soon changed however as the heat drew proceedings to a halt, but there was still a nice selection of birds with the main highlight being a flyover Dotterel.

Bob Self also had a Great White Egret which I failed to see. Two patch ticks would have been great, but one will do.

Totals are:
Dotterel - 1 flew NW over the golf course calling constantly at 7.10am
Whitethroat - 19
Lesser Whitethroat - 8
Reed Warbler - 10
Sedge Warbler - 3
Willow Warbler - 27
Chiffchaff - 6 (all young and local)
Garden Warbler - 3
Blackcap - 3
Sand Martin - 5

 Reed Warbler on the golf course
 Sedge Warbler on the golf course

Dotterel over Seaford Head

being the earliest autumn Sussex record by 10 days (previous being at Rye Harbour on 10th Aug. 1978), I was slightly hesitant on releasing the news until I had listened to some sound recordings on xeno-canto (mainly to re-assure myself), even though I knew it could only have been a Dotterel, and I had already written it down in the note pad. Unfortunately the views were poor as I was looking into the sun, hence no features were seen.