Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 24 April 2018

Splash Point 24/4/18

I started down the Cuckmere today due to the fog but yet again failed to find anything of interest. My first Sand Martin of the spring was flying above the scrape, a Common Sandpiper and two Whimbrel were along the river, and a superb Hobby was flushed by Foxhole Farm and later settled on a fence post.

With news of a Pom past Portland just after 9am I started a two hour seawatch late morning and was rewarded with what could well have been the same Pom passing Splash Point. It was a fine bird with a huge tail, and came along just before some heavy fog sent me to the Ouse Valley.

Splash Point 11.20 - 13.20 SW 3-4

Gannet - 37
Manx Shearwater - 5
Common Scoter - 3
Great Skua - 6
Sandwich Tern - 7
Pomarine Skua - 1 @ 12.50 pale morph

Yesterday I spent the first half hour of light down Splash Point but very little was moving. I moved up to Seaford Head where at least 8 Wheatears were present along with a few newly arrived Willow Warblers.

Hobby at Cuckmere Haven
Common Sandpiper at Cuckmere Haven