Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 15 May 2019

Splash Point 15/5/19

A very short seawatch after work this afternoon was extremely quiet, although upon arrival Derek was watching a Pomarine Skua that was sat distantly offshore (bringing up my 25th Pom for the spring, hardly anything to be pleased with) . Presumably due to so few Poms in the channel today, this was the Pom seen off Selsey at 13.40, and thankfully it was lazy enough for me to see it.

Totals between 16.25-17.25 are as follows:

Pomarine Skua - 1
Arctic Skua - 2
Bar-tailed Godwit - 62
Whimbrel - 12

Whilst out running on Monday, a Clouded Yellow and two Spotted Flycatchers were seen behind Peacehaven.

Over the weekend it was again very quiet, although on Sunday I completely lucked into another Pomarine Skua, again seen off Selsey whilst I was still on the plane, and upon arriving at Splash and setting up my scope, the bird flew through alongside an Arctic Skua. Seawatching since Wednesday has been utterly dire and it feels like the end of the spring season is upon us.

On Saturday, I was delighted to see the Spoonbill in the Cuckmere, and the first one I've seen with any kind of crest in the Cuckmere for many years.

Distant Spoonbill in the Cuckmere