Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Friday 3 April 2020

Pokhara - Nepal (March 2020)

What had been one of most favourite, and varied trips to date was slowly coming to an end. Pokhara was my last of many destinations within Nepal, and it ended in style. I stayed at Tiger Mountain Resort, yet another first rate premises. Despite the number of activities I could've got involved in (neither really got be enthused), I instead remained on the premises and enjoyed the avian life, that was for once, coming to find me and not the other way around. A full afternoon and a full morning provided many highlights within the grounds before I had to make my way back down to the bustling city and to the airport.

Friday 6th & Saturday 7th March

Badri (the owner of Nature Safaris - our Nepalese ground agents) had efficiently put me on an earlier flight to Pokhara, immediately after I had landed from Suklaphanta. This gave me a couple more hours at the Tiger Mountain Resort, that is situated on top of a hill on the outskirts of Pokhara. The views from the premises overlook the superb Annapurna Range of the Himalayas, meaning this is a very productive site for birds-of-prey.

From here on in, there wasn't a great deal else to write about, other than the fact the birdlife was particularly good. On the morning of the 7th, I walked the road up the hill from outside the premises and found some great birds among the many cultivations. A male Grey-winged Blackbird was a particular highlight, whilst Hume's Leaf Warblers were absolutely everywhere.

Within my last hour of leaving the premises for the airport, I found an extremely elusive Snowy-browed Flycatcher, but a Little Pied Flycatcher showed much better. Sadly, my camera was packed when a White-rumped Vulture flew within metres of me - but wow, what a bird!

I departed Pokhara in the afternoon, landing in Kathmandu a short while later. That evening I met Badri and had pre-dinner snacks and a drink with, and then had dinner with my trekking guide. The next morning, Anil, who had driven goodness knows how long over the past ten days, drove me to the airport to round off an amazing trip.

Due to thick fog, my flight was delayed for three hours, and this meant I missed my connection in Dubai. Emirates were of course brilliant and arranged an in-terminal hotel room, and it was so good I could've stayed there for a few days. I eventually arrived home the following morning back to the chaos, that is/was coronavirus.

Highlights for the afternoon (6th) and morning 7th):

Black Stork - 1
Egyptian Vulture - 5
White-rumped Vulture - 10
Cinereous Vulture - 2
Himalayan Vulture - 50
Crested Serpent Eagle - 3
Himalayan Buzzard - 2
Steppe Eagle - 20
Oriental Turtle Dove - 4
Barred Cuckoo-dove - 1
Blossom-headed Parakeet - 5
Asian Barred Owlet - 1
Alpine Swift - 2
Great Barbet - 15
Blue-throated Barbet - 1
Red-billed Blue-magpie - 2
Grey Treepie - 2
Maroon Oriole - 2
Large Cuckooshrike - 2
Yellow-bellied Fantail - 1
Himalayan Black-lored Tit - 4
Himalayan Bulbul - 5
ASHY BULBUL - 4
Buff-barred Warbler - 20
Whistler's Warbler - 1
Puff-throated Babbler - 2
Blue-winged Minla - 5
Whiskered Yuhina - 1
STRIPE-THROATED YUHINA - 1
Chestnut-bellied Nuthatch - 2
Grey-winged Blackbird - 1
Rufous-gorgeted Flycatcher - 1
Snowy-browed Flycatcher - 1
Little Pied Flycatcher - 1
Rufous-bellied Niltava - 1
Orange-bellied Leafbird - 3
Crimson Sunbird - 2
Dark-breasted Rosefinch - 1
Common Rosefinch - 1
Olive-backed Pipit - 50

So once again, that is it for another trip. It's hard to tell when my next trip will be. Brazil in June will surely have to wait for another year, and Madagascar in October could also be problematic in current circumstances, so Sussex at weekends it shall be for the foreseeable future. Stay safe everyone!!

Himalayan Black-lored Tit

Oriental Turtle Dove

Black Stork

Approaching Kathmandu



View from Tiger Mountain

departing Pokhara