Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 15 February 2022

From Jamaica to Hill Road, Eastbourne

It was somewhat typical, that into my second day on Jamaica, I was greeted with the news of a major county rarity. The bird in question was of course the American Robin in Eastbourne, a county first no less, but there was little I could do but hope the bird would stay on site for my return. Scrolling the daily twitter feed which showed myriad photos of the bird in question certainly didn't calm my nerves.

This morning, on Gatwick's taxi-way, I found out the bird was still present, which initiated a few fist pumps (the Jamaicans alongside looked perplexed to say the least!) and the start of a mad dash down to Eastbourne before the rain arrived.

I was surprised to be the only one on site, but I soon found the American Robin on the grass section to the west of the houses, but its right leg appeared badly injured and the bird looked rather weak, but hopefully it'll be OK. Walking around in shorts and flip flops no doubt raised a few eyebrows from the already bemused local residents.

Anyway, Jamaica was excellent and photos will be on here in due course.