This past weekend has mostly all been about my local pair of Honey-buzzards. Having kept a relative close-eye on them, I now know the area of trees in which they are nesting. It's also clearly apparent chicks are present (I'm predicting three-weeks old) as the male and female were both observed carrying wasp comb.
On top of this, yesterday afternoon and from the comfort of my garden with a gin and tonic flowing nicely, the male Honey-buzzard performed its 'butterfly' display for up to 30 minutes. Quite amazing! My next quest is to of course narrow down the potential nesting area even further, as this information could be vital in protecting this valley.
Even more amazing this weekend was a pod of four Northern Bottlenose Whales off Cromarty on Saturday afternoon, which I wasted little time in attempting to see, this being a new species for me. Lovely views were had and I even witnessed the female spy-hopping. Sadly, it appears one of the whales has perished, as only three are now present in the firth, but as I type, they are slowly moving east towards deeper waters.
During the week I managed to see a Storm-petrel, so my Highland yearlist is now on 199.
![]() |
| Northern Bottlenose Whales |
![]() |
| female Honey-buzzard carrying wasp comb |



