Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 15 January 2015

South Africa - Day 3 - 15/1/15

What a brilliant day. As usual I was out just before light (5am) and I worked all morning in the areas east of Brandvlei. By far the highlight of the morning were two Bat-eared Foxes that sat by the side of the road for a very short time. All morning was spent searching for Sclater's Lark without success, but there was still plenty to see.

I then headed north on the R27 and concentrated my efforts 20-40km South of Kenhardt, where after spending a couple of sweltering hours in the 40 celcius heat, I was finally rewarded with a Lark duo. I was buzzing after this and I soon found myself heading north to Kakamas where I stayed at Meerkat Compound, via a couple of stops on the Orange River. 

This amazing day was rounded off with one of the best steaks I've ever had, and a cold cider. Perfect!!!

Species capitalised are lifer, and only birds of interest included. 

East of Brandvlei
Black-chested Prinia - 7
Sabota Lark - 3
SCALY-FEATHERED FINCH - 6
Karoo Korhaan - 1

Haasfontein Road east of Brandvlei
Black-eared Sparrowlark - 16
Rufous-eared Warbler - 5
LARK LIKE BUNTING - 10+
Karoo Korhaan - 2
GREATER KESTREL - 2

20-30km sth of Kenhardt
SOCIABLE WEAVER - ca. 80
White-rumped Swift - 1
SCLATER'S LARK - 2 at Booysen Dam
STARK'S LARK - 2 at Booysen Dam
Layard's Tit-babbler - 1
Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk - 8

Keimoes
RED-EYED BULBUL - 4
Southern Red Bishop - 2
Red-billed Quelea - 50
Helmeted Guineafowl - 2

Kakamas
ORANGE RIVER WHITE-EYE - 1
Karoo Thrush - 2
Spotted Flycatcher - 1
African Palm Swift - 2
Red-eyed Bulbul - 7

 Karoo Korhaan
 horrid picture of a delightful little bird - Black-eared Sparrowlark
Namaqua Sandgrouse
 Greater Kestrel
 Sclater's Larks - one of the highlights of the trip. Note the dark 'teardrop' which is diagnostic of this species.
 Stark's Lark - note the crest
 Sabota Lark - it was so hot this bird refused to move out of the shade, allowing very close approach
 Lark-like Bunting
 Sociable Weaver nest - bigger then my car
 sparse!!
 outskirts of Brandvlei
R27