Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 27 September 2015

Shetland - 27/9/15

Weather - High cloud, sunny spells, Wind SSW 2

The day started off well with finding a Common Rosefinch, a variety (though small numbers) of common migrants around the Hoswick area, but the day cleared and the birds rather dissipated, especially in the places I visited. Annoyingly I couldn't locate the Eastern Subalp and then failed on the Bluethroat ( would much rather be finding then twitching), and then right at the end of the day I decided to reverse into a ditch which left me stuck (those iris beds were just too tempting to drive past). Fortunately the locals are very friendly and I soon got towed out. Looking forward to tomorrow where I shall concentrate on eastern peninsulars, and driving primarily on the road. 

Totals are: 

Yellow-browed Warbler - 6
Goldcrest - 4
Common Rosefinch - 1 juv found at Hoswick
Teal - 1
Willow Warbler - 3
Blackcap - 3
American Golden Plover - 1 juv
Common Redpoll - 2
Woodpigeon - 14 (13 at Sandgarth) 
Siskin - 3
Robin - 1

 Common Rosefinch at Hoswick
 American Golden Plover at Sandwick
 what I needed after a long day
 Hoswick
 Catfirth


 my attempt at flushing small Locustellas