Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 23 July 2018

Aeshna affinis in Sussex 23/7/18

Simon Linington kindly phoned me yesterday as he had found a male Southern Migrant Hawker on Rodmell Brooks. Despite having seen plenty last year in Essex, I made no hesitation in quickly fixing my back tyre and cycling down there. Unfortunately in the strong wind I only had a brief flight view. 
This morning I went back to the site (this time driving) after an early 15-mile run, and in calmer conditions I had lovely views of this rare Dragonfly, that currently is part of a national influx. A stunning Aeshna.

I'm unsure of the current record status of this species in Sussex. I personally know of three previous records (Piddinghoe, Pagham & West Rise Marsh), though no doubt there's the odd one elsewhere.




male Southern Migrant Hawker
at Rodmell