Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Saturday 6 October 2018

Namibia - Day 5 6/10/18

Erongo to Outjo, via Uis

I was up very early to try for one of the most difficult species of the trip, the Hartlaub’s Spurfowl. Close to the accommodation (Othojotozu Guest House) is Erongo Wilderness Lodge which has superb habitat that can be viewed easily from the road. I got myself into position before it got light and was surprised to hear a Freckled Nightjar calling. Despite much effort I couldn’t entice it in. As it got light there were many birds calling, and eventually the squealing sound of a Hartlaub’s was calling in front of me. Another one started calling to the east but I concentrated on the bird in front of me that called only a further three times, and it was due to this that I failed to find one. As it’s says in the books, they soon fall silent and that’s exactly what happened, and I successfully dipped. It was great to finally see a couple of Rosy-faced Lovebirds and a pair of Dassie Rats. Back at my lodge I was very pleased to find a small group of noisy Violet Woodhoopoes as time was slowly running out to see this bird. 

It was now time to start another long drive, this time to Outjo, but a long diversion route to Uis to try for another range restricted Lark. On the way, two random stops produced two big flocks of Lark species, the first being Fawn-coloured Lark and the second being Stark’s Lark. This was a good start to my Lark themed day. 

10km north of Uis is the spot to try for Benguela Long-billed Lark and within a few minutes of walking out I came across at least four Larks, and at long last a Tractrac Chat. Back at the car I noticed a slow puncture and so with regret I had to turn back to Uis and get the tyre repaired. This took some time but I was soon back on my way heading north, and after what seemed like an age of rough roads and pure concentration, I hit the tarmac and cruised for 120km into Outjo to a lovely lodge (Ijaba Lodge). Within half hour I had found six new species for the trip, best of which was a male Little Sparrowhawk. All in all a good day and I still have another morning towards the end of the trip to try for the Spurfowl. 

Highlights for the day as follows:

Black-chested Snake Eagle - 1
Tawny Eagle - 1
Little Sparrowhawk - 1
Namaqua Sandgrouse - 6
African Green Pigeon - 3
Pearl Spotted Owlet - 2
White-backed Mousebird - 10
VIOLET WOOD HOOPOE - 4
Damara Red-billed Hornbill - 2
Bearded Woodpecker - 1
ROSY-FACED LOVEBIRD - 2
BENGUELA LONG-BILLED LARK - 4
Fawn-coloured Lark - 30
Stark’s Lark - 30
Yellow-breasted Apalis - 2
Kalahari Scrub-Robin - 1
Chat Flycatcher - 5
Tractrac Chat - 1
White-bellied Sunbird - 4
Golden-breasted Bunting - 2

Violet Wood Hoopoes at Erongo

Benguela Long-billed Lark
at Brandberg

Black-chested Snake Eagle
Spurfowl habitat at Erongo




Brandberg Mountains

Tyre being reparied

Tarmac after a day of gravel
was much appreciated.