Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 25 March 2019

Cuckmere Valley 25/3/19

A bit of free time after work allowed me to visit the Cuckmere. Having heard before my arrival that Laurence had found a pair of Garganey north of Charleston, I briskly walked my normal route down to the scrape, only finding a White Wagtail for my efforts. This then allowed me plenty of time to watch the superb pair of Garganey in the first flood north of Charleston Reedbed. The drake was regularly calling and displaying to its female friend which gave me a good enough excuse to watch these superb ducks until it was nearly dark.

I had noticed a Gull hawking over one of the floods when I had initially arrived, but it wasn't until dusk that I decided to look at it, only to find it was in fact an adult winter Little Gull.....doh!

White Wagtail on the meanders
Drk Garganey north of Charleston
Despite the distance, it's call was 
easily heard.
pair of Garganey among the Teal
Adult Little Gull