Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 9 January 2014

8th & 9th January

The past few days have had their ups and downs. Fortunately, the birds have all been showing. Yesterday I caught up with the Glaucous Gull at Shoreham Harbour, however getting there involved in my car breaking down. This happened at 2pm, and I arrived home at 8pm after the AA guy had replaced the wrong part, and that meant I had to get towed back home. Further inspection today has concluded my car will be back in action on Monday. An argentatus Herring Gull also roosted alongside the Glaucous Gull on Shoreham east arm, just glad I had broken down in a reasonable spot.

Today, I had permission from Mum to use her car, and so I nipped over to West Rise Marsh and saw the drake Smew which had done a disappearing act for a few days previous. The Cuckmere produced a decent Gull flock for a change with nothing interesting in it, but the Spoonbill was still present on the meanders. 

Afterwards, a Jack Snipe was seen near Newhaven, so all in all not a bad couple of days.