Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Sunday 5 January 2014

Ouse Estuary, Splash & Hove 5/1/14

I started the day off down the Ouse Estuary Project in superb cold and crisp conditions. Couldn't find any Bearded Tits from the screen, however I did find a superb Siberian Chiffchaff behind the screen. First picked up by it's slightly different call, I didn't have to wait long for it to show itself. It was a very pale individual with a brilliant 'Bonelli's Warbler' wing panel. Annoyingly, I didn't have my camera with me, and by the time I had fetched it, the bird had long gone. 3 Water Rails were also heard.

A seawatch at Splash Point afterwards from 11.00-12.00 produced the following:

Velvet Scoter - 2
Red-throated Diver - 6
Diver sp. - 2 + 2w
Brent Geese - 28
Auk sp. - 29 + 13w
Guillemot - 3

I soon arrived at Hove Lagoon after the news was released of a Grey Phalarope being present. I have never seen one show so well, and could not equally believe it when it spent a lot of the time in the kids paddling pool. If it wasn't so cold I may have joined it for a swim. A 1st winter Little Gull was also present offshore.