Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Thursday 30 April 2015

Seaford Head & Cuckmere Haven 30/4/15

After working for most of the night and not getting home until the early hours, I somehow plucked up the courage to walk some of the Head this morning. The only bird of note was a 'reeling' Grasshopper Warbler in Hope Gap.

On my way to the wood I scanned the scrape and picked out five Spoonbills feeding. With limited time to spare I quickly dashed around to the Cuckmere and walked to the scrape where the birds were showing reasonably. A Common Sandpiper was on the meanders and 15 Whimbrel were also along the river.



 certainly my largest flock of Spoonbills seen in Sussex. All birds had brownish lower mandibles so presumably were 2nd/3rd cal years birds.
 Green Hairstreak in Hope Gap
Whimbrel along the river