Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 8 January 2018

East Sussex sites 8/1/18

I started the day down Splash Point where an hours seawatch was surprisingly productive with the following seen between 07.50 - 08.50:

Red-throated Diver - 33
Common Scoter - 27
Razorbill - 37
Auk sp. - 15
Kittiwake - 8
Gannet - 25
Great Crested Grebe - 10
Brent Geese - 27
Fulmar - 3
Mediterranean Gull - 1
Teal - 22

Then after a quick session at the doctors I ventured over to Pett Levels where a Great White Egret, 7 White-fronted Geese, a Ruff and a couple of Marsh Harriers were found. 

The whole of the Dungeness area was rubbish with just the very showy Caspian Gull on offer. It must have scented the bread in my car as it circled me before landing right next to me. The reserve was quiet and the surrounding gravel pits were also dull. So I was therefore relieved to re-enter Sussex, and at Jury's Gap a Sandwich Tern coasted west, but there was little offshore. Near to Rye I was pleased to find four Tree Sparrows, having only heard them on my way east.

I ended the day yet again at Pevensey where straight away the male Hen Harrier was patrolling the marsh, as was a little later a Short-eared Owl. The Harrier at one point attacked the Owl which ended a good day out and about. 

Bird race tomorrow, roll on 2am!!


sublime first-winter Caspian Gull at Dungeness

Great White Egret at Pett Levels
Tree Sparrow at East Guildford