Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 30 October 2019

Seaford Head & Cuckmere Haven 30/10/19

With today being my last day off from this extended block of days off, I made the most of birding the patch and was rewarded with some great birding.

I started up on Seaford Head but with a stiff ENE breeze there wasn't a great deal happening. An obvious Starling movement was occurring, but other than a few Finches and some Crests I soon moved on and into the Cuckmere. This was a good move as a whole host of interesting birds were found. First up was a small and mobile flock of Barnacle Geese that eventually flew off east. With this cold snap I suspect these Geese were more than likely from the near-continent rather than somewhere dodgy locally. Along the riverbank I was pleased to come across a delightful Snow Bunting that spent the day feeding along the strandline. A superb Merlin then put on a good show (this being a belated year tick) and flew just over my head as it disappeared to the south-west. Last of the quality was when Dad joined me and together we came across a Vagrant Emperor battling against the strong easterly wind. It helpfully landed allowing some photos to be taken before presumably carrying on north upriver where I encountered it again some 30-minutes later. After scanning the enormous Gull flock to the north of the bridge and the smaller flock to the south I came across some presumed Littoralis Rock Pipits around the horse paddocks. On the 'brooks' to the north of the bridge was a Knot mixed in with 18 Dunlin, and 48 Lapwing was also a decent count. A great day out on the patch.

Totals for Seaford Head are:

Starling - 570 W
Brambling - 3 E
Firecrest - 2
Goldcrest - 15
Chiffchaff - 2
Barnacle Geese - 8 W then E

Barnacle Geese circling the area

Merlin at Cuckmere Haven


Snow Bunting at Cuckmere Haven

Vagrant Emperor at Cuckmere Haven
I believe there are less than 5 records in Sussex?

Bar-headed Goose



presumed Scandinavian Rock Pipit