Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Saturday 25 July 2020

Cuckmere Haven 25/7/20

After an unproductive seawatch with Bob Self this morning finding only a Manx Shearwater flying west, I went down the Cuckmere for my first visit in a long time.  

The highlight by a long way was finding a Wood Sandpiper on the AGP pool. Unlike all the others I have seen in the world, this individual did not budge as we stared at each other no more than 15 metres apart. Having no camera was a major issue, so I ran back to the car to grab it and walked all the way back. Fortunately, it was still about, and adding to a nice list of waders for the morning/day. 

Late morning, Ian & myself visited the same Violet Helleborines I saw last year in mid-Sussex; the 10+ spikes encountered were mostly in good condition. 

Just as I thought my day was done, Brian Cox found a Little Stint in the Cuckmere, which meant another visit this afternoon with Dad. Despite the tipping rain, the stint was still present and a Little Ringed Plover was on the scrape. 

Last night, at Newhaven Harbour, a juvenile Yellow-legged Gull was present.

Totals:

Wood Sandpiper - 1
Green Sandpiper - 1
Common Sandpiper - 2
Little Stint - 1
Dunlin - 11
Turnstone - 1
Black-tailed Godwit - 7
Little Ringed Plover - 1
Whimbrel - 1



Wood Sandpiper

Black-tailed Godwits

Little Stint

Little Ringed Plover


juvenile Yellow-legged Gull at Newhaven Harbour