Lesser Florican - August 2023

Total Pageviews

Monday 2 May 2016

Cuckmere Haven & Splash Point 2/5/16

For the first few hours today I had to act 'step dad' and therefore missed a decent seawatch but I'm slowly coming to terms that every once in a while I'll miss something, and today was that. Some compensation however was a Sedge Warbler in the garden. Cutting my duty short I made it out by late morning and ventured down the Cuckmere. Good numbers of Waders were along the river and an arrival of Warblers were present in the bushes.
Afterwards a 5.5 hour seawatch produced a good movement of Skuas involving three species. The cold had got to me by the end and my plans to head up to Balsdean from Peacehaven didn't materialise.

Cuckmere totals:
Dunlin - 60
Sanderling - 4
Common Sandpiper - 1
Bar-tailed Godwit - 6
Whimbrel - 8
Whinchat - 1
Willow Warbler - 15

Splash Point totals:
Pomarine Skua - 5
Arctic Skua - 9
Great Skua - 15
Manx Shearwater - 6 + 2W
Brent Geese - 20
Common Scoter - 7
Commic Tern - ca. 750
Black Tern - 1
Little Tern - 15
Sandwich Tern - 50
Red-throated Diver - 2
Gannet - ca. 50

 Sanderling and Dunlin in the Cuckmere
Arctic Skua past Splash Point